Pages

Monday, August 5, 2013

Beckett: 5 Years Old

Um, do you know how strange it is to write "5 Years Old"?!

Beckett is a big boy now! As if he wasn't before. We celebrated his 5th birthday last week. There are so many things that make me so excited for him to be 5, but they are also the same things that make me somewhat sad that he's not my baby boy.

Beckett will be going to all-day Pre-K this year, he's growing out of the toddler section at Gap, his imagination can go on for days, he likes to go to a friend's house with or without me, and he is growing more independent everyday.
Beckett is still totally into dinosaurs. He's our little Paleontologist. Recently, he has also been interested in pirates- especially Jake the Pirate from Disney Channel. His best friend, Will, has peeked his interest in Pirates, Cars, and they also share a love of all things Cowboy. Imaginations run wild when Beckett and Will are together- they have so much fun!
I haven't taken B for his 5 year check up yet, but I can tell you he is tall! He is in 5T clothes, but I am starting to look in the boys section for his fall clothes! Whoa! Luckily, as he has grown up, Beckett has also grown out of most of his eczema. Thankfully he only has a few places on his feet that still give him trouble.
Beckett is such a great big brother. He loves to run around and play with Ryan. They have their disagreements, but most of the time they get along really well! Beckett has learned that if he gives Ryan something to play with she won't get into the stuff he doesn't want her to play with. Ah-ha! Granted, he usually gives her his least favorite dinosaur, but at least he is sharing ;-)
We are certainly having to watch what we say around Beckett. He repeats everything we say and everything he hears on tv. I swear he has Kenny's memory- he forgets nothing. He knows each and every dinosaur and where he got it and who gave it to him. He can also remember what I said three days ago- especially if it has something to do with going to Walmart to check out the toy aisle.
To say that there has been a slight change in Beckett's maturity and attitude would be an understatement. When I think of how he was last summer and how he is now there is such a huge difference! He shows empathy, has more emotions, sticks to his stubbornness, and can be sweeter than sweet. He will give me a hug and say "Mom, I just really love you." **I melt!**

I absolutely love his eagerness to be a big helper. On the flip side, we are having to learn how to deal with the attitude he can "turn on" when he doesn't get what he wants.  I can tell that he wants so badly to do everything himself- he loves when we ask him to do something all by himself- but that same desire to be independent frustrates him when he needs one of us to help him and we can't right away, or if there is something he wants and he has to wait. But, when he's in a good mood, he's the best!

5 Lists for 5 Years
  1. Beckett's favorite things to do: play dinosaurs, ride his bike or scooter, play pirates, and watch Max & Ruby.
  2. Beckett's favorite foods: pizza, chips, lime sherbet.
  3. My favorite thing about Beckett: his sweetness- it melts my heart when I hear him being nice to someone!
  4. My favorite thing to do with Beckett: I love our morning drive. We pass horses and cows and whenever we see a little horse or cow Beckett says "Awww, look at that cute little horse!" We like to talk about what the animals are doing ("eating their breakfast", "staying cool in the shade", etc.)
  5. My favorite thing he says: It cracks me up when Beckett repeats something I say to him in the right context. Today he was walking out of the room and he turned around and said "I'll be in my room, if you need me come and get me, ok?" He uses the same tone and inflection that I do- it's pretty funny.

Oh how we love this big boy! He makes us laugh, helps us out, and shows us love. I'm so excited to be his mom and I can't wait to see what's next for this kiddo.

No comments:

Post a Comment